Monday, November 21, 2011

The 'Thing' and my new RAM!

Hi,

So suddenly after seeing two videos I had some inspiration to create something with the pile of electronics that I had lying around.
I still had a breadboard full with awesome components lying around with which I would experiment to see how it would affect the behaviour of the solar engine. But nothing came of it, because some other things we always more important or interesting to do. So it wasn't really making any progress.
But then I saw this video:



In which someone creates really cool objects. And you see one of his prototypes which he makes with small wooden beams. And that was something I liked.
I also saw this film:

Zimoun «Sculpting Sound» : The Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota, USA from ZIMOUN on Vimeo.



Again of Zimoun of which I really like the simplicity.

After seeing these two videos I decided to make something myself. This weekend I finally had some time to do it, So I went to the DIY shop and bought myself some small wooden beams, some wooden rods and a little saw :).

This is what came out (it is already really dark so it the pictures aren't that good.)





In the last one you can see a wheel which is driven by the DC motor. The wheel has a rod on it, which isn't centered, and it pushes a beam up. When it goes up it will hit an other wooden beam that will hit the bell, creating a nice soft 'Ting'.

Up until now it has only been misty but it already works a little bit. The wheel moves, pushing the beam up. But not with enough speed to make a ting. So now I need to wait until the sun will shine to hear it.

Aesthetically I'm not really pleased with it. The electronics were just an after thought and you can really see it. The wooden components look good, though not really straight, and work well. So next time I will need to take more time to get the electronics to be a part of the whole.


I also got my new RAM last week and I put it in my laptop today, so I haven't really tried it out yet, but until now it is still going smooth.


Also, on Thursday I will kick off my Graduation Project. It is a research project in which I will research how to implement metaphors in products in a successful way. This means that some products use a metaphor, some are quite successful and other aren't. This can have a couple of reasons. I will research which reasons it has and also how to do it better, or at least in a good way. So I will provide guidelines which should be able to tell you how to make great product with metaphors.
I will come back on this I guess. :)

untill soon!
frank

1 comment:

  1. Hey man,

    Did you fix the led light detector already?

    See you soon, ciao,


    bArt

    ReplyDelete