Tuesday, November 8, 2011

TEDxDelft, Wallet and a new watch

Okay,


I went to TEDxDelft yesterday and it was awesome! :) The first three blocks were a bit boring with some good talks in them but the last and fourth block of presentations was amazing! :). Most of the talks were really good and I really like this part. But I won't go into detail, because that is a bit boring.. :) it won't do the talks any justice. :)

I also finished the wallet! Last week I went to a shop to buy leather, of which I maybe bought about half a square meter! And the day after I started to sew. This is what happened:

This is the wallet when it is closed, the texture of the leather is really good and cool :).

If you flip it you can see that the press buttons and elastic form some sort of face :).

And this is the inside! One part is the cards side (Digital area) and on the other side is the real money part (analog area ;) ). The coins are kind of kept in the pocket by two push buttons, which are now obscured by the 10 Euro :).
I fairly happy with this wallet. Maybe, when I have time, I will buy a nicer looking felt and try to create a better design in terms of formgiving. I like how the wallet works, but some details can look nicer and better. So maybe some day I will do that :), but for now i'm happy.

And to jump to another project right away, I had an idea together with a friend of mine to create a watch that has a laser cut body. I would be made out of wood vineer that is cut by a laser printer. And we would just put a standard watch part in it.
I first wanted to prototype it. And I found an old watch I still had from an old company:

I learned from the neighbor of Aurora how to open it, so I tried that:

It worked! and I was really happy :) But then I wanted to get the time setter loose so I could take it out. So with two pliers I tried to unscrew it, which failed miserably, destroying the connection:

But hey I wanted to continue, so with my stupid head I wanted to get the fingers or arms loose so I would be able to remove the plate. But of course, it isn't really made for that. So I also destroyed this:

But anyway, I think I will still make the first prototype to see how it will look. So next I will cut some vineer in the right shape.

So come back next week! :)

cheers!
frank

No comments:

Post a Comment