Thursday, December 23, 2010

Ardiuno, the start :)

Okay, so the first week went well :), but that was easy as it is a bit of a holiday.

To get myself started again I needed to repeat some tutorials to get used to the code again so first I made the hello world!


The Arduino was able to turn it's own LED on and off! wow! that's great, isn't it? I enjoyed it :), but still it is just a Arduino way of saying Hello World! so I moved on:

The next tutorial needed me to take control of the LED, so with a small circuit i created a push button and I could turn the LED on and off just by pressing a button.


Amazing isn't it? just by making that slightest finger movement electrons are sent back and forth, and suddenly a LED turns on, or off.

To make things a bit more interesting it was necessary to us a Potentiometer. This potentiometer is a strange but interesting thing that I've never used before. :). It is a turning nob that creates a resistance according to the angle it is turned. And as you can probably imagine, I was very exited to see what we could do with it.


The tutorial asked me to make the Arduino send some numbers back to my laptop that showed the position of the Potentiometer.


But hey, you are probably also not that exited about that! we want more! we need more..... So, I remembered that the Arduino programming environment is based upon Processing. Which, incidentally, I still had installed. So I looked at the tutorials for Arduino and found one that plots a graph, so I took the code and looked what would happen.


Nice hey? mhew... Not especially, but we need to start somewhere right? (Enough with the questions!!!)

To enjoy this code a little bit more I needed to change some values here and there and changed some functions, creating the following beauty.


After experimenting a bit more I came to the following, a sort of triangle thingy that adjusts the height of the triangle based upon the position of the potentiometer. And I made it to save a JPG at the end of each cycle.


The only thing that rests is making it save under a different name, a lot of beauties have been lost... :(

But what now? I'll tell you: more tutorials to get acquainted with new types of code, and see what ideas will spring to mind.

Sounds maybe? a new musical instrument, or is that just not that original?

we'll see...

see you next week!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment