Monday, November 26, 2012

Tower-USB progress


I had already shown that I made my Tower-USB real. I had already printed and painted three towers and gotten the USB-sticks to make them. But so far I've only shown one, but my chair and mentor both also had one which weren't finished. So, a couple of weeks ago I picked them up, I made them and now I returned them. Here is a picture of all of them together:


When I was picking them up we had a meeting (with the chair and mentor) and we talked about selling these towers. I’m not really sure if it would pay of, but it is an interesting thought though. So I made some adjustments to the 3D Model and turned it into a printable file, which on my old laptop is a bit of a chore right now. But I managed and uploaded it to Shapeways!


This all went well (after about 5 tries) and it was time to see how it looked when it is printed in SLS (Selective Laser Sintering) in Nylon and Nylon with 20% Aluminium (Alumide). I ordered them and two weeks later I got them!


And together with the first one:


The all Nylon one is very light, but it also feels very fragile, the grey alumide one feels stronger. So I think I will use the alumide version and try to put the USB-stick into it. And then I need to put it on Etsy and Shapeways! Which can be quite scary because then I need to think of a brand!
But next week I’ll be done with that so I’ll show the results of it :)

cheers!
Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment